The Assessment System – Why the change?
- The government has removed the previous system of levels (2a, b, c etc) used to report children’s attainment.
- They chose not to replace this with a new system, allowing schools to choose their own.
- The new National Curriculum set out expectations for the end of each Key Stage.
- Daily assessment takes place in all lessons through: pupils being clear about what and how they are learning, questioning, marking and verbal feedback.
Implications of the Curriculum
The Curriculum contains learning objectives that children were not previously taught/objectives that were taught in year groups further up the school. Therefore when pupils were assessed in the Autumn term against this new curriculum, many appeared to be achieving at a ‘lower level’ than previously thought.
Staff at Woden Primary still have the same high expectations of your children, and the children have not gone ‘backwards’ in their learning—they are simply catching up against new objectives. Pupils and schools across the whole country are in the same position. Once pupils have ‘caught’ up with the new curriculum expectations, the majority of pupils will be performing within the criteria for their age group. By doing this they will be making good progress—as they always have.
Our Assessment System at Woden Primary School
Children are expected to be working within their Year Group Band, which has been broken into 3 main development points:
- Entering (ideally by the end of the Autumn term)
- Developing (ideally by the end of the Spring term)
- Secure (ideally by the end of the Summer term)
Once secure you can then begin to ‘master’ the year group objectives. Where the child is expected to deepen their knowledge and understanding.
|Year group||Working Below Year Group Band||Working At Year Group Band||Working Above|
|Mastery or Year 2 –7|
|Two||Pscales or Year 1 Band||2e—entering2d—developing
|Mastery or Year 3–7|
|Three||Pscales or Year 1/2 Band||3e—entering3d—developing
|Mastery or Year 4 –7|
|Four||Pscales or Year 1/2 /3 Band||4e—entering4d—developing
|Mastery or Year 5 –7|
|Five||Pscales or Year 1/2/3/4 Band||5e—entering5d—developing
|Mastery or Year 6–7|
|Six||Pscales or Year 1/2/3/4/5 Band||6e—entering6d—developing
|Mastery or Year 7|